File fransfer from iPad to FreeBSD

Per olof Ljungmark peo at nethead.se
Fri Feb 16 18:35:04 UTC 2018

On 02/16/18 17:40, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On 02/16/18 03:47, Polytropon wrote:
>> Did anyone succeed in transfering files _from_ an iPad _to_
>> a FreeBSD machine using the USB cable? The setting where this
>> should work consists of a FreeBSD 10.3-p24 (32 bit) and an
>> iPad 32 GB with iOS 11.0.3 15A432.
>>
>> Attaching the iPad shows ipheth0 and ue0 devices.
>>
>> I have installed the imobiledevice and fusefs-ifuse packages
>> via pkg.
>>
>> With the command
>>
>>     # idevice pair
>>
>> execute twice (with confirming the trust dialog on the iPad)
>> I got the system to print the iPad's device ID. But any of
>> the other idevice* commands just leads to an error:
>>
>>     # ideviceinfo
>>     ERROR: Could not connect to lockdownd, error code -3
>>
>> Mounting attempts fail as well:
>>
>>     # ifuse -d -u <ID> /mnt
>>     Failed to connect to lockdownd service on the device.
>>     Try again. If it still fails try rebooting your device.
>>
>> I did as instructed (repeated command, rebooted iPad), but no
>> success.
>>
>> It does not matter if /var/lib/lockdown is mode 777 or what
>> it initially was. It also does not matter if the commands are
>> being executed as root or as a normal user.
>>

>> I have also tried gtkpod, but it doesn't detect anything at
>> all. Manually configuring the iPad doesn't help, it does not
>> connect, and the error message ("unsupported checksum type")
>> doesn't help.
>>

>> I also fully understand that Apple doesn't want me to be able
>> to easily transfer files from (or to) the iPad except with
>> their tools, but I don't care what Apple wants. That's why
>> the "recommended solutions" don't work for me because:
>>
>> 1. I won't buy a Mac.
>>
>> 2. I won't buy a new PC plus a license of "Windows".
>>
>> 3. I won't give out any personal identification information
>>     to Apple or MICROS~1 in order to "register".
>>
>> 4. I won't register at a "cloud" storage provider.
>>
>> So please no suggestions to "just" use iTunes.
>
> I have 100% sympathy to all requirements above. However, withing these
> constraints it probably isn't possible, except for sending stuff to
> email address. The reasons are (as far as I know them):
>
> 1. you on iOS device are in jail. Therefore you have no access to
> filesystem, except the way Apple gave you
>
> 2. Exporting filesystem over USB is something that Apple does its best
> to not allow. They do their best to make it so that only iTunes is
> capable to talk to iOS device connected via USB. All reports of people
> able to access filesystem of iOS device are considered security breaches
> by Apple, which they "fix" as soon as the can
>
> 3. Accessing filesystem of iOS device connected via USB is how these iOS
> devices are jailbroken. The last is violation of agreement with Apple
> you sign when you first touch the darn device
>
> 4. Any application - free or not - can only be installed on iOS devices
> through "Application store" owned by Apple - to use which you have to
> [...]

I disagree that it is "impossible" or "very difficult" to access an iOS
device over USB, as I wrote earlier today, and that phone is not
jailbroken, it is very standard iPhone version 10 something.

I also believe that Apple does all the above not only to make our lives
difficult, for a "normal" user things does in fact work pretty well, but
as you and others mentioned, it means that your are giving them access
to a lot of personal info. This is a choice I suppose we all have to
make today.

Cheers,

//per