any problem going from 9.x (don't laugh) to 11 directly?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 15 09:48:30 UTC 2018

On 14/02/2018 22:11, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> Never got a chance to move to 10 in time.  Should I just skip 10 and go
> to 11?  What will that break?  And keep in mind I'm ZFS-on-Root,
> although I haven't upgraded my bootloader or ZFS version yet.

Given you're on ZFS then you should have boot environments available to
you.  BEs work great for major version upgrades -- and you can revert as
needed if it doesn't work right the first time.

You are correct that you should not update the boot blocks or the ZFS
feature set until after you're sure you will never need to revert to 9.x
again.  ZFS is always backwards compatible, so your shiny new 11.x
installation will work fine with the 9.x zpool and bootblocks.

As for how you do the upgrade -- once you've created your 11.x boot
environment, you can mount it by eg.

    beadm mount 11_1-RELEASE /mnt

Then mount an instance of devfs:

    mount -t devfs devfs /mnt/dev

and then you can chroot into the boot environment:

    chroot /mnt

and from there you can apply your favourite method for upgrading.
Remember to unmount /mnt/dev once you're done before you try and
activate the new BE:

    exit        (from the chroot)
    umount /mnt/dev
    beadm umount 11_1-RELEASE