any problem going from 9.x (don't laugh) to 11 directly?

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Thu Feb 15 05:55:10 UTC 2018

On 15/02/2018 11:57, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> John> In article <86lgfvi20e.fsf at red.stonehenge.com> you write:
>>> I'm on 9.3, and intended to use freebsd-update.
>
> John> In that case I'd go to 10.4, poke at that long enough to make sure
> John> things work, then go to 11.1.
>
> Some of the ports I use are no longer building under 10.4... haven't
> researched the details, but I wonder if they just weren't being
> supported any more except under 11.

Know that 10.4 is only supported until October so moving to 11 would be
a better choice.

When I upgraded from 9.3 to 10.2 many ports required rebuilding to work.
By that I mean while previously ports would run on the new system while
you built new versions, from 10 many failed to run. This appeared to be
due to 9 using gcc and libstdc++ while 10 and 11 use clang and libc++

I have found that several recent updates to some ports are initially
failing on 10.4, this seems to be from the base clang3.4 having less
c++11 support than newer versions. The solution that has worked for my
ports, is to use a newer clang version. clang50 is already used by quite
a few ports so adding USES+=compiler:c++14-lang will enable clang50 and
shouldn't add any extra building if you are building your own ports.
Not sure that if that will work in make.conf so would need to be in a
ports Makefile.local

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler