Swap on SSD

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Mon Feb 5 17:53:56 UTC 2018

On Feb 5, 2018, at 09:13, Frank Leonhardt <frank2 at fjl.co.uk> wrote:
> FreeBSD doesn't actually swap these days; uses demand paging. This means that blocks of RAM that are hardly ever used can get copied to disk. This may include some stuff that's only accessed a few times a year, but would otherwise be occupying precious RAM that would be much more useful as a disk cache. That said, FreeBSD tends not to page out except as a last resort - probably a mistake but I can't prove it.

Thanks, this is what I didn't know because I know it use to swap a lot, even if RAM was available (albeit, that may behave been v4...).

I think I'll leave it for now, the machine has 8 times as much RAM as the one it replaced and is doing less, so I really shouldn't have any issues. The previous machine was setup to use a swap file instead of a partition.

--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.