Dualboot and ZFS

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Mon Feb 5 15:23:47 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-31 08:27, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> My pool works successfully in a bhyve environment, but in VirtualBox
> 5.0.14
> (to test the real boot sequence) I get this message from zfsboot:
>
> zfsboot: No ZFS pools located, can't boot
>
> However, if I boot from LiveCD, the pool is there, it's healthy and
> can be imported.
>
> Why is it that zfsboot is not finding the pool? Is it because the pool
> has been created in /dev/ada0s1a instead of /dev/ada0s1 ?

Seems likely!

zfsboot will attempt to get a pool together from BIOS-visible disks.
That probably means MBR but your BIOS may vary - especially one on a
virtual environment. gptzfsboot might do better. But I'd look at the
virtual machine BIOS configuration first.

Once you've booted (e.g. from a LiveCD), disks and slices not visible to
the BIOS become fair game for forming a zpool.

Regards, Frank.