Swap on SSD

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Mon Feb 5 11:49:02 UTC 2018

On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 04:19:25 -0700
"@lbutlr" <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:

> I have a machine that has dual SSDs in it and no spinning disks. FreeBSD
> has a 4GB (or so) swap partition that it created on the installation of
> FreeBSD 11.1.
>
> Isn't this going to cause problems for the SSD to have swap constantly
> working the drive?

	If swap activity is constantly working the drive then you have a
problem (add RAM or reduce workload) anyway. With an SSD the performance
problem will be less painful than with a hard disc so for a system that is
well sized to its load an SSD is a great solution for swap, rarely used but
fast when needed.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>