Response to Meltdown and Spectre

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 4 16:26:33 UTC 2018

https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution

This is the issue at hand regarding AMD chips.

Meltdown - Not susceptible

Specter variant 1 - It looks like nothing from recent production.  They
state early Athlon/Opteron processors (year 2000 or so)  OS patches can
correct the issue.  (FreeBSD has always had a much more robust memory
management system than Linux and Windows including what some of call
protected memory and a 'virtual fence' on the memory of the kernel.

Specter variant 2 - Possibly susceptible.  Everything is being examined
and, again, OS patches can resolve the issue.  However, in both variants
they are working on firmware to correct 'POSSIBLE' issues.

This has been the ongoing information coming out of AMD.  What I'm more
interested in is the 'performance hit' after all the firmware updates
come out.  This could be something similar to the use of IIS versus
Apache.  IIS showed how 'fast' it was in benchmarks against Apache.
However, once it was delved into, it turned out that IIS was not doing
proper checking on the content..... it was actually doing very little
which made it significantly faster, but more susceptible to exploit.
So, once we get all the firmware patches, does it turn out that if Intel
had been doing things correctly in their design does it slow their chips
down by 20%?  If so, given their performance would drop below most
high-end AMD chips that, effectively, already cost 1/2 of the
performance, I'm dying to see what market share looks like after the
mid-point of this year.

P.