German keyboard support for gdm???

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Feb 3 04:11:36 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 17:08:46 +0100, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
>> c) Use Gnome's configuration utility (the one which can also
>> configure gdm). I've never used that, so I cannot be more
>> specific, sorry. :-)
>>
>Which one might that be: I have got gnome-control-center,
>gnome-tweak-tool and dconf-editor and can't see where anything about
>gdm could be done ...

Hi,

from command line use the gsettings command or the dconf command. In
your case gesetttings is the way to go.

If something like

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/keyboard.conf
Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "keyboard"
       MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
       Option "XkbLayout" "de"
       #Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

doesn't work, then GDM's or it's greeter's config overrides the X
settings. Keep in mind that GNOME upstream supports/expects Wayland as
GNOME default. This already breaks Linux installs and much more likely
will breake FreeBSD installs.

Perhaps https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GDM#Keyboard_layout does
help, but I would stay away from a GUI to change the appropriate
setting/s.

I once provided a short example how to use gsettings for the dconf crap,
see
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2017-October/msg00110.html ,
just use GDM insteadof evolution related keywords for the grep pipe.

Regards,
Ralf