followup: anyone use different PCI Express card & slot #s?

C Gray frankfenderbender at council124.org
Fri Feb 2 04:36:25 UTC 2018

This opens up lots of short-term solutions to my Dell PowerEdge T300, which came w/o a sound card.
Nonetheless, wasting slots is a bit foolish, so I am still searching for an x4 sound card that is supported
by FreeBSD drivers. Along the way, I am finding many imaginative tips such as these two....

	Q: I have a PCI Express 4x slot on my Asus Crosshair motherboard.
	     It is open ended, but there are capacitors directly behind it blocking any 16x cards.
	     So, what are PCI Express 4x slots for? What would I put there?
	A: The PCI Express 4X connector has 64 pins and is intended to be used on servers,
	     but not limited to servers:
		- PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot will run at PCIe x1 speeds
		- PCIe x16 card in a PCIe x16 slot will run at PCIe x16 speed.
		- PCIe cards are all backwards compatible, as in a x1, x2, x4, x8 cards will all work in a PCIe x16 slot
		- x1, x2, x4 will all work in a PCIe x8/x16 slot
		- x1, x2 will all work in a PCIe x4/x8/x16 slot
		- x1 will all work in a PCIe x2/x4/x8/x16 slot

	-- from "What are PCI Express 4x slots made for?" - by Dougx1317 (June 9, 2009)
    	    <http://tomshardware.com/forum/260412-30-what-express-slots-made>

	Q: What can you do with a PCI Express x4 slot?
	A: Except for the most powerful of video cards, you can do pretty much everything with
	    an x4 slot, and without any adapters, as well.
	    Plenty of boards with x4 slots have them open ended, so a x16 card will fit just fine
	    (and work at x4). So HDTV tuners, RAID controllers, cards for PhysX, video cards to
	    drive more monitors, sound cards, 10Gbit Ethernet (don't ask me why, though...lol)....

	-- from "What can you do with a PCI Express x4 slot?" - by Yukikaze (Sep 24, 2008)
	   <https://techpowerup.com/forums/threads/what-can-you-do-with-a-pci-express-x4-slot.90099/>

Anyone found a affordable/non-cloned//FreeBSD-supported sound board solution for a server
running the latest LTS TrueOS... utilizing PCIe x4/x4/x8/x16 (with no x1) slots?

thanks,
chris gray
frankfenderbender at council124.org