apple : mac pro : full hardware supported?

Marius Schamschula lists at schamschula.com
Mon Dec 24 00:32:30 UTC 2018

> On Dec 23, 2018, at 4:54 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at kathe.in> wrote:
>
> is the newer generation of apple hardware, especially the mac pro, well supported by freebsd?
> my thinkpad had some twisted support for it's hardware, specifically lacked Wifi support and occasionally shutdown or rebooted on it's own and hence had to be sold back to the hardware vendor. since I am in the no-machine state right now, wondered if a monolithic ally well-built hardware like the mac pro be worth it.
> thanks.

You didn’t say which generation of Mac Pro. As others have said, the current Mac Pros (cylindrical) are probably poorly supported.

At work, I’ve been running FreeBSD on a 2009 Mac Pro (cheese grater), bare metal as a web server.

As that is old hardware (however I’ve got a lot of them, from a research compute cluster), my home machine is a Dell server class machine - 8 drive bays vs. 4 on the old Mac Pro, and none on the current Mac Pro…

Marius