Upgrade to 11.2 failure

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Thu Dec 20 23:07:35 UTC 2018

--On December 20, 2018 at 1:51:59 PM -0500 Scott Ballantyne
<boyvalue at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have done this many, many times. It does seem that the
> freebsd-update/pkg system is more fragile than
> I have thought. This isn't a big deal for the stuff I have at homes, but I
> have come to rely on this combo
> to update systems to which I don't have physical access. Now I am a bit
> concerned about doing that.

I know exactly how you feel. I used freebsd-update to upgrade two
production systems from 10.4 to 11.2, and both systems didn't come back up
after reboot. The first system was in California, so I had to have the
hoster figure out what went wrong and fix it. The /etc/rc.conf file was
screwed up.

The second system was local, so I went to the hosting company and got on
the console. It required two fsck runs to fix everything.

So, the third system, I didn't even bother. I went to the site and upgraded
from the console. That one worked fine. Go figure.

And yeah, I've run freebsd-update numerous times without any problems -
until now.

Paul Schmehl, Retired
My opinions are my own.