FreeBSD, acme.sh, and sudo

David Mehler dave.mehler at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 14:42:07 UTC 2018

Hello,

I've got a FreeBSD 11.2 system. I'm running apache 2.4 and acme.sh for
letsencrypt certificate management.

I've got one problem, keys and certificates are created, and installed
and renewed correctly, but at the end of the command I do

--reloadcmd "sudo service apache24 reload"

so that any renewed certificates will be picked up. I am getting the
following from sudo:

[acme at xx ~]$ sudo service apache24 reload
sudo: pam_open_session: system error
sudo: policy plugin failed session initialization

In my sudoers file I have:

# Allow anyone in the acme group, without a password, to use
/usr/sbin/service commands
 %acme  ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

and user privileges:
# finger acme
Login: acme                             Name: ACME protocol client
Directory: /var/db/acme                 Shell: /usr/local/bin/bash
No Mail.
No Plan.

#groups acme
acme

#id acme
uid=169(acme) gid=169(acme) groups=169(acme)

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
Dave.