can all drivers work after freebsd full installation

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 18 09:55:05 UTC 2018

On 18/12/2018 09:13, Shyaka Rene via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Hello, I have a omputer with windows 7. HP I5 all its drivers on hp
> website are made for windows 7. if i install freebsd full
> installation (not virtual machine) will all drivers work (network,
> VGA, webcam, finger print, ...). thank you.

We'd need to know exactly what all of the components were in that
machine before we could tell you definitely if they'd all work or not.

The best way to find out is to try it.  Download one of the USB memstick
images -- probably this one, but there are others on the site for
different OS versions:

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img

Follow the instructions here for writing that to a USB stick:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html
   (Section 2.3.1.1 is what you want)

Then boot from the USB stick.  When prompted, choose the 'Live Image'
option, which means FreeBSD will be running entirely off the USB stick
and won't write over your hard drive.  This should show you what is and
isn't supported on your hardware.

Note: if you're unfamiliar with the Unix command line, you might find
TrueOS to be a better choice to start with:

   https://www.trueos.org/

This has FreeBSD underneath, but it comes bundled with a windowing
system and various productivity apps and is more aimed at desktop users.

	Cheers,

	Matthew