frebsd jails advice

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Dec 11 14:23:25 UTC 2018

On Mon, December 10, 2018 06:51, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> Instead, set up your jails with ssh and ssh into each of them,
> forwarding an X connection over SSH (which will typically set up thigs
> like DISPLAY appropriately in the environment for you.)

I personally have never been able to get gvim to run over an ssh -X
connection to a jail.  When I asked about this on this list I recall
being told that jails simply do not support X-windowing as a client.

# ssh -Xt hll124
X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
Last login: Tue Dec 11 09:08:41 2018 from hll124
FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p4 (GENERIC) #0: Thu Sep 27 08:16:24 UTC 2018

[root at hll124 ~]# gvim
E233: cannot open display

If there is a way to get gvim to run a local window over ssh from a
remote jail then I would very much like to know how that is done.

Canada  L8E 3C3