Fresh Installation Of FreeBSD 11.2--Mate Not Working Properly

B J va6bmj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 04:06:47 UTC 2018

I've done some more tinkering and this is what I have so far:

- I start with xterm when I run startx

- the pull-down menus appear to work

- I can change settings, such as the desktop background, through Control Center

- the display still insists it's at 1280 x 1024 when it's supposed
default to 1024 x 768, but I can change it with xrandr

- at the suggestion of several sources, including what was on the URLs
I sent, I added the following to /etc/fstab:

proc  /proc  procfs  rw  0  0

I'm not sure if that made any difference (I recall having to add
something like that in earlier versions of FreeBSD/Gnome, but that
didn't seem to be necessary for my other installations)

- I'm able to run applications such as Firefox and VLC, but those were
already installed and configured under Xfce

- external drives, such as a USB stick, don't appear to mount

- I can drag windows, files, and directories, but the response is slow

I also got this following message in the xterm window:

** (mate-settings-daemon:868): WARNING **: <system time>: There was a
problem when setting QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1:
GDBus.Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.NotInInitialization: Setenv
interface is only available during the Initialization phase
This libgtop was complied on FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p5 amd64
If you see strange problems caused by it,
you should recompile kibgtop and dependent applications.
[1544066549,000,xklavier.c:xkl_engine_start_listen/]

I'm not sure what to make of it.

I appear to be making some progress, but I'm not sure what else to
check.  Close, but no cigar, as they say.

B. M. Jatzeck