Fresh Installation Of FreeBSD 11.2--Mate Not Working Properly

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Dec 4 17:41:38 UTC 2018

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 09:30:41 -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:

> On Mon, December 3, 2018 21:25, B J wrote:
>
> > I re-installed Mate and modified the installation as you suggested.
> > After running "startx", followed by "mate-session" in the terminal, I
> > got a number of messages, including the following:
>
> For various reasons I have always desired to login to a console
> session before starting a GDM.

I wasn't able to get gdm working with anything than Gnome
(and it completely ignores ~/.xsession, forcing you to
manually configure "Autostart" applications for each user),
so I replaced it with slim. Personally, I prefer xdm with
an ~/.xsession -> ~/.xinitrc "cascade" so plain startx
will still work. ;-)

> On my FreeBSD-11.2p4 desktop I have
> this in ~/.xinitrc, which seems to work for me:
>
> ck-launch-session mate-session

Yes, I have the same setting on a reference system, except that
the line is

	exec ck-launch-session mate-session

to make sure X will shut down (and maybe return to gdm or slim)
when the controlling MATE session has been terminated.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany