Fresh Installation Of FreeBSD 11.2--Mate Not Working Properly

B J va6bmj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 18:51:56 UTC 2018

On 12/3/18, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 02:42:19 +0000, B J wrote:
>> I just installed Xcfe and it appears to be running properly.  It looks
>> like I might have to consider looking at replacing that machine with
>> something newer.
>
> For better diagnostics, use the following entry in ~/.xinitrc:
>
> 	exec xterm
>
> Then use "startx", and run "mate-session" from within the
> terminal. You should be able to see _why_ MATE isn't starting
> properly, while Xfce does.

Thanks for the tip.  I might try it in after I return from working on
my father's house.

> AS I said in a previous message, the age of the system probably
> is not the reason for MATE not working. Maybe something has
> changed in its configuration, so maybe renaming MATE's settings
> subtree to .old and starting with no configuration at all will
> work. Incompatibility of older settings sometimes leads to
> software not starting after an upgrade (e. g., CUPS). So this
> is something you could try.

My original installation was FreeBSD 10.x.  i suspect that a few
things changed in subsequent versions so a brand-new installation
might have incompatibilities.

Meanwhile, I'm running my machine off the backup HD.

BMJ