Fresh Installation Of FreeBSD 11.2--Mate Not Working Properly

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Dec 2 22:14:25 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 21:36:54 +0000, B J wrote:
> I'm now have a fresh direct installation of 11.2 and I just installed
> xorg using pkg.  Running:
>
> Xorg -configure
> Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new

Those two steps aren't usually needed. X will configure
itself on startup automatically, so there's hardly a need
for a configuration file.

> and I eventually get a dark screen on my monitor.
>
> What did I do wrong?  Thanks.

Nothing, that is the correct behaviour. In order to get
a window manager or desktop environment, just install it. ;-)

Further details:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html

--
Polytropon