Fresh Installation Of FreeBSD 11.2--Mate Not Working Properly

B J va6bmj at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 16:26:07 UTC 2018

Yesterday, I wanted to upgrade one of my machines to 12.0-RC3 and
ended up trashing my system.

I tried several times to re-install 11.0 (upgrading to 11.2 afterward)
with Mate and Slim and I couldn't get the desktop to work properly.
The best I could do is to log on through Slim, even after I made a
fresh installation of 11.2 directly.  I get the Mate desktop but none
of the utilities (such as Mate Terminal) in the menu bar work.

I don't know what to do next.  I'm wondering if something's not set up
properly, but I don't think I missed any of the steps.

One possibility is to swap the HD as it's over 10 years old.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thank you.

B. M. Jatzeck