Jails and networks

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 22:26:25 UTC 2018

Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 10:44:14AM -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>> Alejandro Imass wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> IIRC it seemed at the time that qjail had shamelessly stolen ezjail
>>> source to scaffold their product and claimed original authorship. I
>>> think there have been many flame wars in this respect and should not
>>> be that hard to find references.
>>>
>> As I recall, qjail is the result of some Filipino IT students who forked
>> ezjail as a script coding assignment. They had no idea about open source
>> software license issues. Not knowing better, they took ezjail to be open
>> source and since most of the script was rewritten they put their own
>> free license on it. When it was pointed out by users that qjail needed
>> to give credit to the original author of the forked ezjail. This was
>> done right away. There was never any intention to steal anything. Just a
>> bunch of students trying to do something to give back to the FreeBSD
>> community who made a simple mistake.
>
> Wait, it was an "assignment"? Meaning they did it for school?
>
> That's even _worse_! Because it was plagiarism, and they didn't know that
> plagiarism is wrong. How did they not know that plagiarism is wrong?
>
> If it really was an "assignment" done by students then that implies they
> turned it in for school credit. That's even worse, and they deserve to get
> treated quite harshly by their school if they really did that. You don't
> turn in someone else's work for school credit, even if you did change
> "most" of the work before turning it in.
>
> And, as I recall, there was some arguing on his/their part so I'm not sure
> that the "right away" part is accurate.

This is open source software being talked about not printed matter, so
the idea of plagiarism does not apply in this case at all.

This snafu is no reason to think qjail is inferior. It has many
functions ezjail is lacking. Like being able to create non-vnet jails
and vnet jails using the jail.conf method. Qjail has been incorporated
into the Finch open source project as it's jail management tool giving
qjail creditability.

The general point I am trying to make here, is the original poster
should try out the qjail utility and see if he can get his jails to
access the public internet.