Skylake HDA CODEC breaks on dpms

Markus Graf markusalbertgraf at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 15:35:41 UTC 2018

Hi,

I use an external monitor via HDMI with sound.

hdacc1: <Intel Skylake HDA CODEC> at cad 2 on hdac0
hdaa1: <Intel Skylake Audio Function Group> at nid 1 on hdacc1

That works. Until the monitor goes into power saving mode.

Then I get the following error twice:
hdacc1: Unexpected unsolicited response with tag 63: ffffffff
hdacc1: Unexpected unsolicited response with tag 63: ffffffff

After this error sound is gone.
pavucontrol still shows the sound but it is dead.

I can reproduce the killing by entering
xset dpms force standby
on the console.

Does anybody have any hints how to fix this?
As a workaround is there a command I can use to manually reset hdacc1?
At the moment I shutdown -r to fix this or use xset -dpms to avoid it.

--
Liebe Grüße

Markus Graf