Resolving package conflicts (pkg set -o?)

Norman Gray norman.gray at glasgow.ac.uk
Tue Aug 21 15:55:58 UTC 2018

Matthew, hello.

On 15 Aug 2018, at 17:33, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On 10/08/2018 18:10, Norman Gray wrote:
>> When installing the 'ceph' package, I get an error:
>>
>> pkg: openldap-client-2.4.46 conflicts with
>> openldap-sasl-client-2.4.46
>> (installs files into the same place).  Problematic file:
>> /usr/local/bin/ldapadd
>>
>> I'm not sure how best to resolve this.  Can anyone offer advice?

> This is a pretty well-known and longstanding problem with pkg(8) and
> using the standard project compiled packages.  What happens is that
> pkg
> records dependencies very strictly -- on the specific version of a
> package.  This means you cannot just substitute one package with a
> similar equivalent -- ldap-client for ldap-sasl-client.
>
> So if you install package A that depends on ldap-client and then want
> install package B that depends on ldap-sasl-client you are going to be
> very unhappy bunny.

Thanks for this explanation.  It reassures me that there's nothing I've
broken here!

In this particular case, it appears that the conflicting dependencies --
on openldap-client and openldap-sasl-client -- have arisen as something
of a side-effect of the package installation process, since net/ceph
(which is what I'm trying to install) doesn't declare a dependency on
either of them, and building net/ceph the old-fashioned way, within
/usr/ports, works fine.  I'm not quite sure what this is telling me.

However at this point I'm not _completely_ sure of the sequence of
operations which have taken me where I am now, so I'm not positive I'd
be able to reproduce things.  So I'm going to step quietly away from the
machine (unless anyone thinks this is interestingly anomalous).

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/it/