package repo not updating

Vick Khera vivek at khera.org
Wed Aug 15 13:21:08 UTC 2018

I'm trying to get the latest version of some packages to update for
security fixes. When I run pkg update it says that nothing is updated:

# pkg -d update
DBG(1)[24136]> pkg initialized
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
DBG(1)[24136]> PkgRepo: verifying update for FreeBSD
DBG(1)[24136]> Pkgrepo, begin update of '/var/db/pkg/repo-FreeBSD.sqlite'
DBG(1)[24136]> Fetch: fetching from:
http://pkgmir.geo.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/latest/meta.txz with opts "i"
DBG(1)[24136]> Fetch: fetching from:
http://pkgmir.geo.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/latest/packagesite.txz with
opts "i"
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.

My pkg config file points to "latest" not quarterly, so I expect it to
update within a reasonable time. Historically, that has been every few
days. Checking pkg-status.freebsd.org, my reading says that the latest
build for FreeBSD 11 was completed yesterday, August 14.  However, the
files that pkg tries to fetch on my system were last updated August 9:

# curl --head
http://pkgmir.geo.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/latest/packagesite.txz
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx