No Extended Support Version right now?

Erich Dollansky freebsd.ed.lists at sumeritec.com
Thu Aug 9 09:10:42 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 09:52:49 +0200
Andrea Venturoli <ml at netfence.it> wrote:

> On 8/9/18 9:29 AM, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:
>
> > Updating each of them to the next Major release takes about 2h
> > (really stupid things like FreeBSD id changes in config files are
> > time consuming and annoying).
>
> Are you talking about mergemaster?
> Are you aware of the -F and -U options (which have been somewhat
> recently added)?
>
> Notice: I'm not trying to convince you that upgrading so frequently
> is a good thing (as I said I agree with you); I'm just trying to ease
> the pain.

I was too fast with my former e-mail. Of course, mergemaster is for
FreeBSD itself. It is less a problem of mergemaster as of having to
touch a running system in a serious way. We have also the problem
having to maintain a number of machines and decided to create our
in-house solution. Yeah, it can leave the house after it works but it
must work first.

Erich