xrdp configuration and xfce4

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Wed Aug 8 22:22:45 UTC 2018

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018, David Newman wrote:

> On 8/8/18 12:16 PM, Oleg Cherkasov wrote:
>>>
>>> Previously the .xsession file was just 'startxfce4'.
>>>
>>> But adding the '#! /bin/sh' line and restarting xrdp did not change the
>>> behavior: It's still a black screen with one xterm, and no xfce4 desktop
>>> or copy/paste support.
>>>
>>> Of course startxfce4 will run manually from the xterm but along with
>>> copy/paste, those are the problems I'm looking to solve.
>>
>> I think it was another in X called ~/.xinitrc, just give it a try.
>
> That file previously had these contents:
>
> exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4 --with-ck-launch
>
> Changing this to just:
>
> startxfce4
>
> and restarting the xrdp service did not result in xfce4 starting by
> itself or copy/paste being enabled.
>
> It's possible FreeBSD-specific changes are needed to xrdp.ini,
> startwm.sh, and maybe other config files, but I don't know what those
> changes are.

Do you have physical access to the FreeBSD system? If so look at
.xsession-errors in your home dir. In /var/log you will have Xorg.0.log and some
other simiarly name files. It seemed like getting xfce started was at least part
of the problem. If not, sorry for the noise.

I use xdm with my .xsession as follows:

artemis:~> cat .xsession
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/local/bin/startxfce4

startxfce4 from the console login also works. I do not have any other user
defined files.