Alternative to x11/gnome3 ?

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 8 17:11:00 UTC 2018

On 08/08/18 11:24, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 23:11:56 +0700
> Victor Sudakov <vas at mpeks.tomsk.su> wrote:
>
>> No, this is not the way it works on Linux. Linux users don't run
>> startx from a text session, nor do they switch between GUI sessions
>> with Ctrl-Alt-Fn.  They click "Switch user" and the graphical login
>> screen appears where you can get authenticated.
>
> 	You can use startx and Ctrl-Alt-Fn in Linux to do this, at least
> you could last time I used Linux and X.

I would second that, and I also would say that in Linux people do
sometimes boot the machine in "runlevel 3" as opposed to GUI login
"runlevel 5", log in on virtual console, and then do startx. Or rather

exec startx

(then if your X session is killed, your console session ends, so whoever
is in front of machine at the moment does not get your shell).

I do it sometimes - very rarely though - on multi-user Linux machines in
the server room.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator