virtualbox-ose-nox11 compile fails on newly upgraded 11.2

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 23:10:20 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 8:01 AM, Dale Scott <dalescott at shaw.ca> wrote:

> virtualbox-ose-nox11 fails to compile from ports on newly upgraded 11.2.
> I'm
> attempting to install from the ports collection because installing the
> binary pkg (or possibly the kmod only) is causing the system to crash
> during
> boot (I assume the same issue that is described in the 11.2 errata, causing
> me to uninstall virtualbox before upgrading from 11.1).
>

> The errata, and PR228535[1] which it references, indicate building from
> source (ports) will avoid the issue (somehow). I think someone responded to
> the PR saying installing the pkg after upgrading worked, but not in my case
> - which is why I'm now attempting to install from ports.
>

> The host server is a re-purposed media PC with Intel E6600 Core 2 CPU and 6
> GB RAM (DDR2 PC2-5300) running 64-bit FreeBSD 11.2. I seem to come across
> mention of ZFS when searching this issue. I've always trusted that the
> FreeBSD installer/upgrader knows what it's doing without my involvement in
> this regard, although I saw a boot message that something ZFS wants to be
> given more memory (but not seen now that I've upgraded to 11.2).
>

> Suggestions are greatly appreciated. :-) My goal is to host two pre-built
> Linux vm's on what is otherwise a PHP web app server. One vm is ERPNext
> (from the project) and the other is Gitlab (from Bitnami). Should I cut my
> losses and figure out how to switch my *.ova's to bhyve?
>

> Thanks all,
>
> Dale

There is no need to build or install virtualbox-ose. Installing the package
version is fine.

You do need to rebuild virtualbox-ose-kmod to prevent a crash at boot time.
To do this you will need the current port.

Be sure that version matches virtualbox-ose. If the versions do not match,
install the virtualbox-ose package from head instead of quarterly and usr
the port from HEAD. The current version is 5.2.16, but older versions (e.g.
5.2.14) should work. Ignore the portrevision, the digit after the '_', if
present.

You must have a full set of kernel sources in /usr/src.  The kernel module
must have the kernel sources to build correctly.

Use "kldload vboxdrv vboxnetflt vboxnetadp" and re-enable loading of the
driver at boot.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com