Samba on FreeBSD - no AD, just a home network

Andrei Brezan andrei693 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 21:49:47 UTC 2018

On 11/04/18 22:00, Richard P Mackerras wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

> I have been having trouble with SAMBA on FreeBSD.
> I have installed FreeBSD 11.1 and installed SAMBA. It is running, SAMBA
> says it is the master browser for my workgroup.
>
> This is a home network. No AD.
> All I want is for a few W7 and W10 computers and a Mac (iPad/iPhone as
> well?) to be able to read and write files to the SMB server.
>
> I cannot get it to authenticate a user.
>
> What is the process I should be following please?
> Which type of authentication should I use, there seem to be a couple of
> choices.
> I don't want to expose my files if anyone hacks my wifi but I don't want to
> make life difficult for myself.
>
> The windows computers are using the HomeGroup thing rather than a workgroup.
>
> The FreeBSD guide just seems to be rubbish and out of date. Most
> discussions seem to centre around AD.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-samba.html

And you can use "smbpasswd -a username" or "pdbedit -a username" to add
the users to tbdsam. "pdbedit -L" to list users.

> Is there anything I need to do to the Windows computers?

If your windows boxes are Home edition they might not want to use the
workgroup you're creating with Samba, don't have any around to test,
works fine with Win7 Pro clients and samba48.

--
Andrei