swi-pl : minimalist edition

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Apr 8 08:56:28 UTC 2018

On Sun, 08 Apr 2018 12:03:54 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> On 2018-04-07 05:57 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 16:10:53 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> >> i liked prolog and was pleasantly surprised to see a port of swi-pl
> >> under freebsd.
> >> there's one hitch though, the swi-pl port has too many dependencies.
> >> would there be some way to _also_ have a minimalist edition of swi-pl?
> >
> > That's hard to say...
> >
> > The port's description says there are no options to configure,
> > so I'd guess you cannot get rid of the X dependencies (if you
> > don't use X).
>
> i ended up tinkering with ubuntu 16.0, and guess what, they have
> a "no x" version in their package repository.
> so, eliminating 'x' dependencies is possible, similarly, building a
> small, tight core should be possible too.

Great finding!

Even though the port itself does not offer the ability to
configure it without X, you should be able to at least
manually tweak the configuration and see if you can remove
the X dependencies. If you succeed, suggest a -without-x11
port (or whatever they are called today) of swi-pl to be
published - so it can be installed with "pkg install" on
a system with no X. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany