swi-pl : minimalist edition

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Apr 7 12:27:38 UTC 2018

On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 16:10:53 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> i tried sending mail to johans at freebsd.org, failed.

Maybe try to address the ports team directly?

> i am have been evaluating options to target my expert help system.
> have tinkered with netbsd and openbsd, but didn't feel comfortable.

That is intended. ;-)

> i liked prolog and was pleasantly surprised to see a port of swi-pl
> under freebsd.
> there's one hitch though, the swi-pl port has too many dependencies.
> would there be some way to _also_ have a minimalist edition of swi-pl?

That's hard to say...

The port's description says there are no options to configure,
so I'd guess you cannot get rid of the X dependencies (if you
don't use X).

I've been using swi-pl in the past, and most of the dependencies
will be present on an average desktop installation anyway. If you
are using "pkg install" to install swi-pl, it will deal with the
dependencies automatically. You will receive the runtime and the
library dependencies only (no build dependencies required for
binary installation).

According to the list at https://www.freshports.org/lang/swi-pl/
it's not _that_ much additional stuff.

--