Mouse & Keyboard lock-up on FreeBSD 11.1 & Lumina

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Wed Apr 4 04:04:05 UTC 2018

On 04/03/18 16:42, Mark Moellering wrote:
> Between 1/3 and 1/4 the time, when I boot up, if I do not log in right away
> and do something on the desktop (i.e., boot-up and then work on
> household-chores before logging-in, or log-in and then work on chores) ,
> the mouse and keyboard, both USB, are completely unresponsive.  Unplugging
> and replugging-in does nothing.
>
> I had the occasional problem on a FreeBSD 10.? install and kde4, so I
> deleted everything and then upgraded the OS and did a fresh install of
> QT/Lumina, etc.
>

> I am running older hardware, a core-2 quad-core.
>
> Full release is listed as:
> FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Nov 14 06:12:40 UTC 2017
>
> Lumina build 1.41
>
> I use slim as my login manager.

I had / have a similar problem, but it was / is related to plugging
in a usb device.  It appears to be a static electricity issue,
although I never get a spark.  However, it completely goes away if
I remember to ground the end of the usb cable I'm about to plug in
(touch to my finger) and ground the port on the computer (touch my
finger) before plugging the one into the other.  Try consciously
touching a metal ground point on the box before you do anything
else.  Drove me crazy, still does when I forget and the whole thing
freezes up.  And yeah, it should all be well grounded, but
apparently something isn't.

Gary