gpart recovery FreeBSD 7.4

Erich Dollansky freebsd.ed.lists at sumeritec.com
Mon Apr 2 03:52:12 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 18:43:06 +0000
"Jean M. Vandette" <jmvandette at securenet.net> wrote:

> I used the recoverdisk
> root at central:/ # recoverdisk /dev/gpt/root /mnt2/root.img

I never used this program.

> I did newfs on the boot then it mounted seems it does not recognize

That was dangerous. When I have had the problem I really went down to
read the partition information from the disk into a file and tried to
understand it.

This method helped recently when a disk has had developed so many bad
sectors that it shrank its size during a boot. So, I did the same with
its GPT information, mounted it, made a backup of the last hours of
work and returned it to the manufacturer.

> I don't have other mount points ie disks to make copy.

This is a real problem at this stage.

> the recoverydisk with state 0 says it encountered no errors so it is
> seeing the data (I presume) just it is a binary file it seems.  Now
> is the data usable is another question.  Using more or less I see a
> lot of binary gibberish so far.

Yes, the data is all binary. The key to any disk is its first sector.

> I don't know if there is a way to write the superblock information
> without losing all the data if you or anyone knows I would appreciate
> the procedure. Did it once before or should say my mentor did it back
> on 3.1 and then was able to fsck and mount the data.

This is all not a problem but it come much, much later. There is
something wrong with your partitioning tables. I would try to find this
out.

Get a hex editor of your choice. dd the first sector of the disk, open
it in the editor. I used Wikipedia to provide me with the structure
information of the disk. This all depends how it was partitioned and
later formatted. MBR, GPT ...

I know that this is hard work and will take time.

Erich