FreeBSD Bridging doesn't work on FreeBSD 11

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at nsu.ru
Thu Sep 21 17:16:19 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 12:01:42PM -0500, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe at nsu.ru> wrote:
> > I don't have a precise answer to your question, but certain network
> > features had been broken in FreeBSD 11+, including bridging [1] and
> > LAGG [2].  You might want to try 10.4 for the time being as there's
> > currently low interest in fixing those regressions, unfortunately.
>
> It is disingenuous to imply things are broken when they are not.  The
> first link you sent isn't close to conclusive, and may have absolutely
> nothing to do with a bridge per se.

For [1], it /might/ have nothing to do with a bridge per se, but we'll
have yet to see how that investigation will come out.

> If things like bridge or lagg were actually broken in some non-edge
> case, hard to replicate way then it would receive its due attention.

For [2], it's a fairly known regression that was reported both on the
lists and to me privately (basically, users asking WTF?); and all of
those situations were observed during the pre-11.x -> 11.x transition.

Sadly, regressions happen now and then; there's nothing wrong with
drawing attention to them, even if it seems "disingenuous" to some of
us.  We all want FreeBSD to become better, no?  Peace,

./danfe