help with condensing bsd

edgar edgar at pettijohn-web.com
Mon Sep 11 18:24:15 UTC 2017

> On Sep 11, 2017 at 11:13 AM,  <Polytropon>  wrote:
>

>  On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 09:59:49 -0400, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:  >  On 9/8/2017 3:03 PM, Anton Yuzhaninov wrote:  >   >  On 09/08/17 12:04, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:  >   >>  I wish to create a smaller BSD as I have a vps with a minimal amount of  >   >>  space.  >   >  1. Reducing kernel size.  >   >   >   >  create custom config - add to it all you need (drivers, geom/netgraph  >   >  modules e. t. c.) and add line  >   >  makeoptions NO_MODULES=yes  >   >   >   >  only kernel will be build without modules.  >   >  Kernel can be compressed using gzip -9  >   >   >   >  2. World.  >   >   >   >  Simple way - just disable optional stuff via src.conf  >   >  Read man src.conf and add knobs like  >   >  WITHOUT_ACCT=yes  >   >  WITHOUT_ACPI=yes  >   >  WITHOUT_AMD=yes  >   >  e.t.c.  >   >  to you src.conf  >   >   >   >  Not all can be switched off via src.conf, but if you not building image  >   >  for tiny embedded system a few extra Mb probably doesn't matter.  >   >   >   >>  I k
now that I can buildworld and cut a lot of things out (does  >   >>  anyone have a good example from where to start)?  >   >>  My question is this: Once I buildworld and buildkernel, how do I package  >   >>  these up? I have a few systems that need this new buildworld and  >   >>  buildkernel, and i also want to replace the base iocage jail.  >   >  Different options are possible.  >   >   >   >  I use this way:  >   >   >   >  On build host I run script make-release.sh [1]  >   >  result of this script: files base.txz kernel.txz e. t. c.  >   >   >   >  /usr/src/release/release.sh can be used instead, but for me it was more  >   >  easy to write own script than customize release.sh.  >   >   >   >  To upgrade OS on VPS I use shell script [2] which fetches this files and  >   >  extracts them using tar. To upgrade files in /etc I currently use  >   >  etcupdate (because mergemaster needs /usr/src).  >   >   >   >  If you already have OS installed in this VPS you can install you cust
om  >   >  build (and copy /etc/src.conf used for this build) and then run  >   >  make delete-old  &&  make delete-old-libs  >   >  to delete switched off parts (but you will need /usr/src for this task).  >   >   >  To bad there's not a way to do this without /usr/src. Correct. All the make targets depend on various files inside that subtree to determine the correct actions.  >  If you just extract this new system over your current system,  >  how does that get rid of things you removed? It doesn't. The idea is to extract it to a freshly initialized file system.