help with condensing bsd

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Sat Sep 9 02:33:58 UTC 2017

On 09/09/2017 01:58, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Littlefield, Tyler <tyler at tysdomain.com>
> wrote:
>
>> All:
>>
>> I wish to create a smaller BSD as I have a vps with a minimal amount of
>> space. I know that I can buildworld and cut a lot of things out (does
>> anyone have a good example from where to start)?
>>
>> My question is this: Once I buildworld and buildkernel, how do I package
>> these up? I have a few systems that need this new buildworld and
>> buildkernel, and i also want to replace the base iocage jail.
>>

> You may wish to investigate tools like picobsd or nanobsd.  There are other
> ways to accomplish this of course, but those tools worked at least at one
> point.  I haven't tried them recently.

Both nanobsd and picobsd are custom freebsd builds and are included with
the freebsd src tree, each has a man page for more info.

While nanobsd is aimed at small embedded systems, picobsd has a smaller
target of a single floppy disk.

NanoBSD also has an article with some more info -
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/nanobsd/index.html

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler