problem booting from 2nd drive

Christos Chatzaras chris at cretaforce.gr
Thu Sep 7 21:18:19 UTC 2017

Finally the problem is not related to this server. I did a fresh install in another server "that didn't have the same issue" and it finally has the same issue.

As you can see in my previous messages I install bootcode in first disk while in mfsbsd 11.0:

gpart bootcode -b /mnt/boot/pmbr -p /mnt/boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0

and when I finish the installation and reboot in FreeBSD 11.1 I install the bootcode for 2nd disk:

gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /mnt/boot/gptboot -i 1 ada1

This way the problem exist.

But if I install bootcode for both disks while in mfsbsd 11.0 then I can boot from both disks:

gpart bootcode -b /mnt/boot/pmbr -p /mnt/boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0
gpart bootcode -b /mnt/boot/pmbr -p /mnt/boot/gptboot -i 1 ada1

So my conclusion is that I can install the bootcode during the installation from mfsbsd 11.0 but not from freebsd 11.1

The mfsbsd version is:

FreeBSD rescue 11.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p1 #0 r306420: Thu Sep 29 01:43:23 UTC 2016     root at releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

But if I don't install the bootcode on 2nd disk during the installation from mfsbsd and after the installation boot on mfsbsd again and run:

mount /dev/ada0p2 /mnt
gpart bootcode -b /mnt/boot/pmbr -p /mnt/boot/gptboot -i 1 ada1

then it doesn't boot from second disk.

So the question is why it works if I install bootcode during the installation using mfsbsd but not after I reboot back in mfsbsd?