local_unbound stops resolving

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Sep 7 13:45:20 UTC 2017

On Wed, September 6, 2017 18:49, Frank Shute wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 11:19:40AM -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
>> The problem that I am having on my desktop FreeBSD-11.0p12 is still
>> with me and I have confirmed that the system time is correct.  This
>> issue only arises with our own domain (harte-lyne.ca).  Below are

> <snip>
> Hi James,
> You mention about a "key" being mentioned in the debug log but I
> wouldn't be surprised if that is just due to the tool, drill(1),
> you're using; which from it's manpage seems to expect DNSSEC.

Our domain (hate-lyne.ca) is secured with DNSSEC.

> My best guess, is that your hosts(5) might not be entirely in order
> which maybe causing some funky Unbound behaviour from queries from
> the same machine:
> I assume that /etc/host.conf looks like:
> hosts
> dns


> and resolv.conf(5) looks like:
> nameserver
> so hosts(s) should look something like:
>  localhost inet08.hamilton.harte-lyne.ca
> (I'm going from your email headers).
> Anyway, just batting about some ideas rather than a definitive
> solution.

Thanks.  I have updated /etc/hosts as you suggest and will see if the
problem returns.  It is still a mystery to me as to why restarting the
local_unbound service will clear the problem for a while and remove
the keying error in lookups.

***          e-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel          ***
        Do NOT transmit sensitive data via e-Mail
 Do NOT open attachments nor follow links sent by e-Mail

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
Harte & Lyne Limited          http://www.harte-lyne.ca
9 Brockley Drive              vox: +1 905 561 1241
Hamilton, Ontario             fax: +1 905 561 0757
Canada  L8E 3C3

More information about the freebsd-questions mailing list