local_unbound stops resolving

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Sep 7 13:45:20 UTC 2017

On Wed, September 6, 2017 18:49, Frank Shute wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 11:19:40AM -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
>>
>> The problem that I am having on my desktop FreeBSD-11.0p12 is still
>> with me and I have confirmed that the system time is correct.  This
>> issue only arises with our own domain (harte-lyne.ca).  Below are

> <snip>
>

> Hi James,
>

> You mention about a "key" being mentioned in the debug log but I
> wouldn't be surprised if that is just due to the tool, drill(1),
> you're using; which from it's manpage seems to expect DNSSEC.

Our domain (hate-lyne.ca) is secured with DNSSEC.

> My best guess, is that your hosts(5) might not be entirely in order
> which maybe causing some funky Unbound behaviour from queries from
> the same machine:
>
> I assume that /etc/host.conf looks like:
>
> hosts
> dns

Yes.

> and resolv.conf(5) looks like:
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
> so hosts(s) should look something like:
>
> 127.0.0.1  localhost inet08.hamilton.harte-lyne.ca
>
> (I'm going from your email headers).
>
> Anyway, just batting about some ideas rather than a definitive
> solution.

Thanks.  I have updated /etc/hosts as you suggest and will see if the
problem returns.  It is still a mystery to me as to why restarting the
local_unbound service will clear the problem for a while and remove
the keying error in lookups.

Canada  L8E 3C3