New Installation

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 5 16:44:59 UTC 2017

Absolutely right.

Just download and install 10.x/11.x (preferably optical media installer
- one of the .disc images)

My suggestions for installation :

1) disable UEFI in the motherboard BIOS settings.
2) Prefer UFS as filesystem - easier and more stable compared to ZFS.
3) prefer MBR slices to GPT partitions. Since you are coming from Vista,
you probably already are using MBR slices. At installation time, you can
delete the Vista slice, and in its place create a BSD slice (e.g.
ada0s1) with nested FreeBSD partitions (ada0s1a -> freebsd-ufs, 30 GB+;
optional ada0s1b -> freebsd-swap, 1 GB+)

If you run into problems, message me and/or the forum.

Regards
Manish Jain