Why pkg offers different versions of packages on two machines?

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 23:35:13 UTC 2017

On 1 September 2017 at 07:54, Rafal Lukawiecki <raf at rafal.net> wrote:

> On 1 Sep 2017, at 00:49, Ben Woods <woodsb02 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Rafal,
>
> FreeBSD STABLE and CURRENT branches use the "head" pkg repo by default,
> whilst FreeBSD RELEASE branches use the "quarterly" pkg repo by default.
>
> The 2017Q3 quarterly branch only has py27-certbot-0.16.0_1,1 right now,
> whilst the ports head branch has py27-certbot-0.17.0,1.
>
> So you FreeBSD-11 STABLE build must be using the head branch.
>
> Regards,
> Ben
> --
>
> --
> From: Benjamin Woods
> woodsb02 at gmail.com
>

> Thank you, Ben, this makes sense. Is this behaviour configured
> in /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf, in which case I don’t see quite where. This is
> the conf from my STABLE which is pulling latest. Or am I looking in the
> wrong place?
>
> # $FreeBSD: releng/11.0/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf 303975 2016-08-11 23:39:23Z
> gjb $
> #
> # To disable this repository, instead of modifying or removing this file,
> # create a /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf file:
> #
> #   mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
> #   echo "FreeBSD: { enabled: no }" > /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/
> FreeBSD.conf
> #
>
> FreeBSD: {
>   url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly",
>   mirror_type: "srv",
>   signature_type: "fingerprints",
>   fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
>   enabled: yes
> }
>
> Thank you,
> Rafal

Hi Rafal,

I agree the FreeBSD.conf file you have shown here looks like it is pulling
from quarterly.

This is not the normal FreeBSD.conf file for FreeBSD 11-STABLE, which you
can see here:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/11/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf?revision=302408&view=markup

Perhaps check 2 things:
1. Double check you have posted the /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf file from the
11-STABLE machine, and that you don't have any temporary mount points
overwriting it.
2. Can you post the contents of all files in /etc/pkg/ and in
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/

Regards,
Ben