autologin from console not working on FreeBSD-11.1p2

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Oct 27 01:59:06 UTC 2017

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 20:35:55 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> On /etc/ttys I have in ttyv0 and changed Pc to Al.  And the entry in
> /etc/gettytab is the placed at the very end of the file.

That is correct.

> In one machine it
> has xterm , while the older 9.2* machine has cons25 as I just copied over.
> Maybe something changed?

Yes. The default "text mode" (basically gone with the sc -> vt move)
now is xterm.

> I will add the tc part over and see if it works on
> Monday.

As you can see from "man gettytab", tc is "table continuation",
and from a working example I think this should be included.

> I will have workshop tomorrow and may not get a chance to check if
> adding the tc part makes it work.  I am using shell $ sh and have
> ~/.xinitrc and ~/.profile are correct with the test if console then startx
> and that works.

According to "man sh", using ~/.profile is the correct approach.

As you're probably not going to interact with /bin/sh much (as
it is the default scripting shell, not the default dialog shell),
it probably doesn't matter as all you need is something to bring
up X with a desktop environment.

> Just that I am getting password prompt.  I login to shell
> then startx, using lumina desktop.

The problem probably is with the gettytab entries. Check them
when you can, and compare with the solution mentioned. It is
of course possible that during the course of FreeBSD development,
things have changed in a way that it doesn't work anymore... :-/

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany