Strange periodic problem

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Thu Oct 26 17:01:54 UTC 2017

--On October 24, 2017 at 8:18:35 AM -0500 Adam Vande More
<amvandemore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 12:10 AM, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>> No. But that was a really good question, because now that I look at it
>> *none* of the periodic scripts are running. Strange.
>>

># /etc/rc.d/cron restart
># /etc/rc.d/cron status
>
> Ensure it is running.  Most likely it would log something to
> /var/log/messages about the attempt.
>
> Another option is to start cron in the foreground and examine it's output.

Cron is running. I added -x sch to see what it would log.

After further analysis, the jobs are running fine. (For example, the db
backup that started this thread is running find, backing up every day.)
I'm not getting the email. I used to get emails daily with the periodic
jobs, but those are no longer coming. I didn't notice they had stopped,
because I get so much email it's easy to miss (and most of it is
inconsequential anyway. Hundreds of breakin attempts to ssh, and that sort
of thing.

Still investigating. There's nothing of any consequence in
/var/log/messages, and /var/log/cron apparently doesn't log periodic jobs.
I'm hoping setting the debug flag will reveal more information.

Paul Schmehl, Retired