label disappearing at reboot

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Thu Oct 26 15:55:16 UTC 2017

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978 at gmail.com> writes:

You have some problems as I note inline below.

> Hi all,
> on a testing virtual machine I have a virtual disk labeled via glabel
> disappearing at each reboot (11-RELEASE).
>
> When the system boots it is turned into single user mode because it
> cannot mount DATA4 as it has disappeared.
> In particular on the console it is printed:
>
> mount: /dev/label/DATA4: No such file or directory
>
> And effectively the lanel has disappeared. I try to recreate the whole
> partition and label from scratch as follows, and effectively I'm able
> to mount the filesystem after that, but every time the machine is
> rebooted the disk label disappear. What am I missing?
>
> root at olivia:~ # glabel list ada4
> Geom name: ada4
> Providers:
> 1. Name: diskid/DISK-VB97f8d8f5-8f70a2a4
>    Mediasize: 2147483648 (2.0G)
>    Sectorsize: 512
>    Mode: r0w0e0
>    secoffset: 0
>    offset: 0
>    seclength: 4194304
>    length: 2147483648
>    index: 0
> Consumers:
> 1. Name: ada4
>    Mediasize: 2147483648 (2.0G)
>    Sectorsize: 512
>    Mode: r0w0e0
>

> root at olivia:~ # gpart create -s GPT ada4
> ada4 created
> root at olivia:~ # gpart add -t freebsd-ufs ada4
> ada4p1 added
>
> root at olivia:~ # glabel create DATA4 ada4p1

This creates a temporary label only according to the man page, so you
need to use 'glabel label' to create a permanent label.

> root at olivia:~ # newfs  label/DATA4
> label/DATA4: 2048.0MB (4194224 sectors) block size 32768, fragment size 4096
>         using 4 cylinder groups of 512.00MB, 16384 blks, 65536 inodes.
> super-block backups (for fsck_ffs -b #) at:
>  192, 1048768, 2097344, 3145920
> root at olivia:~ # echo "/dev/label/DATA4 /mnt/data4 ufs rw 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
> root at olivia:~ # mount -a

You can also use UFS labels without using glabel at all.  In that case
use 'newfs -L DATA4 ada4p1', and then use /dev/ufs/DATA4 in fstab.

Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org