A request to segregate man pages for shell built-ins

zep zgreenfelder at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 14:10:11 UTC 2017

On 10/25/2017 09:22 AM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 08:03:03 +0000, Manish Jain wrote:
>>
>> On 10/25/17 13:23, Erwan DAVID wrote:
>>> That would mean doing a new section per shell eg (1bash) (1csh) (1zsh)
>>> each shell has its own builtins, Hicham can differ (compare set in bash
>>> and csh )
>> Perhaps a new, unique section of man pages (something like section 99)
>> implemented for sh only and which can be called by any shell with the
>> same syntax : 'man 99 set'
> Or like pkg's "sub-manpages", with a hyphen:
>
> 	% man echo-csh
>
> compared to
>
> 	% man test-bash
>
> And for "identical implementations", compound manuals just as if
> you'd use "man 3 malloc" or "man 3 calloc" to take you to the same
> manual page.

you could also build a 'smarter' man in such a case - e.g. as a shell
script wrapper kinda thing, it could do a which first, find out if the
shell you're currently running it from has a builtin, if there's a
binary, then chose the right one for how it's called and possibly
include a caveat about other versions.

not that I'm saying I'm ready to take on such a task, just offering some
suggestions.