A request to segregate man pages for shell built-ins

Rafal Lukawiecki raf at rafal.net
Wed Oct 25 13:49:42 UTC 2017

For what it is worth, I would have found this segregated access to man for shell built-ins very useful in the last two months, as I have been rapidly re-skilling from bash/Linux to sh/FreeBSD. I spent too much time browsing the net while, ideally, most of it could have come from man.

Anything that makes it easier to get up to speed with sh is going to make FreeBSD more accessible, especially to those coming from bash, in my opinion.

However, it is also quite useful to have a single, long document on sh, which is capable of covering the more general issues such as variable scope and flow control. I wonder if there is a risk that a segregated approach could remove that important benefit.
--
Rafal Lukawiecki
Data Scientist