vt and tmux, overlapping responsibilities

Sijmen J. Mulder ik at sjmulder.nl
Mon Oct 23 12:22:09 UTC 2017

Hi,

vt (or st) is a virtual terminal with some features like scrollback and
multiplexing on top of system primitives (I suppose a character/video
display driver).

tmux (or screen, etc) is a more advanced multiplexer but implemented on
top of an existing terminal.

Using tmux on vt then strikes me as an inelegant situation. We have a
multiplexer and terminal emulator that goes unused because we're using
another multiplexer and terminal emulator through it. It's rather like
hooking up a media centre system to a 'smart TV'.

One could either a) use a 'dumb' TV, or b) use a smarter TV that
eliminates the need for the media centre system. In terms of virtual
terminals, that means a) reducing vt's repsonsibilities to a minimum, or
b) being able to run another multiplexer directly on the video/text
driver, replacing vt.

I don't mean to belittle the obvious complexities and realities such as
that a terminal must be available very early on in the startup sequence,
or having a multiplexer target a device rather than another terminal,
etc. Just wanted to see if there's been any thinking on this front.

Sijmen