stuck duel booting win-10 and FreeBSD 10.3

DTD doug at safeport.com
Fri Oct 20 20:37:53 UTC 2017

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017, DTD wrote:

> I am trying to install FreeBSD 10.3 on a Lenovo Ideapad 700. I was following
> some instructions to set up duel-boot with rEFInd Boot Manager and EasyUEFI.
> For whatever reason this did not work. I have FreeBSD installed, but the EFI
> code was not put where it needs to be. I have tried to use the shell to mount
> the disk to copy the code where it needs to go. I can not figure out a mount
> command.
>
> Using windows 10 diskpart, gpart and sysctl I put constructed the following
> map of the disk:
>
>  Partition ###  Type       Size     Offset
>  -------------  ---------  -------  -------
>  Partition 1    System      260 MB  1024 KB   ada0p1  C: Windows boot
>  Partition 2    Reserved     16 MB   261 MB   ada0p2
>  Partition 3    Primary     446 GB   277 MB   ada0p3   Windows NTFS
>  Partition 8    Unknown    4096 MB   446 GB   ada0p8   freebsd-swap
>  Partition 9    Unknown     512 KB   450 GB   ada0p9   freebsd-boot
>  Partition 10   Unknown     438 GB   450 GB   ada0p10  FreeBSD freebsd-ufs
>  Partition 4    Primary      25 GB   889 GB   ada0p4
>  Partition 5    Recovery   1000 MB   914 GB   ada0p5
>  Partition 6    Recovery     14 GB   915 GB   ada0p6
>  Partition 7    OEM        1000 MB   930 GB   ada0p7
[cut]

> The installer can mount and write the disk just file. I have installed this 3
> different ways to try and coax the install into writing boot code somewhere.
>
> So ... what's the magic command to mount the BSD partition? I am also not
> sure if the EFI boot code just gets added to ada0p1. ada0p9 is a boot
> partition added by the current install. Is FBSD 11 more likely to work?

I (think I)have narrowed this down to a more specific question. Will it work if
I use gpart to wite the boot code? I can do this because I can take the code
from a working system. That only leaves which boot code and where? An example of
a working command would seem to be:

    gpart bootcode  -p /tmp/gptboot -i [1|9] ada0

where I copy gptboot from another 10.3 system. Who get it. I though 1 or 9 not
10.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com