How to recover data from dead hard drive.

Frank Leonhardt (m) frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Fri Oct 13 11:12:46 UTC 2017

Good list that. ddrescue is, IME, the place to start. Or have I confused it with dd_rescue again :-)

But what do you mean by dead? If its not spinning or not recognized by the system as existing, you'll get nowhere with software. I transplant the platters to a new IDENTICAL drive mechanism and work from that. You can by an identical drive from companies who stock samples them "just in case". Unsurprisingly, they're not cheap. And transferring platters is not easy.

I also have some expensive licensed software for recovering incomplete file systems, and charge Windows users like a wounded rhinoceros when they need their data back.