console-only freebsd

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Tue Oct 10 15:17:14 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 01:29:05AM +1100, Ian Smith wrote:

>>On Tue, 10 Oct 2017, tech-lists wrote:
>
>Are you using powerd(8) to moderate CPU speed (so, power) when not so busy?
>
>Also many useful tips in https://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption

that's another ball of string. The cpu is AMD C-70 APU and powerd/cpufreq
doesn't seem to recognise it. Think I'll need to ask -hardware about it.

> > In the meantime I've found that links2 might do what I want as it supports
> > text and graphics in svga/framebuffer.
> >
> > thanks for the suggestion
>
>More likely for it and similar things to work using sc rather than vt ?

not sure. The present console is "like" a graphical console. I'm a bit out
of my depth here.The following graphical modules are loaded at boot time:

radeonkms.ko (which then loads:)

radeonkmsfw_PALM_pfp.ko
radeonkmsfw_PALM_me.ko
radeonkmsfw_SUMO_rlc.ko

without these loaded, it looks like a blocky text mode console. I've not
experimented yet with sc rather than vt, or with links -g in either
environment.
--
J.