automount usb msdosfs no partition table

mfv mfv at bway.net
Mon Oct 9 15:36:21 UTC 2017

> On Mon, 2017-10-09 at 01:10 Tomasz CEDRO <tomek at cedro.info> wrote:
>
>Hello world :-)
>
>I need to configure automount for a testing machine. It seems to work
>fine, except for two issues:
>
>1. Mount point does not disappear after device disappears, what makes
>things harder to script when device is gone. automount -c does not
>remove the mountpoint, only restarting the service does. It is a bug
>or feature?
>
>2. Automounter does not mount USB Pendrive / MSDOSFS devices that does
>not have a parition table. Some USB Drives does not have valid
>partition table, they appear as /dev/da0 and can be mounted with
>mount_msdosfs /dev/da0 /mnt, but they are not recognised by
>automounter.. how can I make it work with such devices?
>
>Any hints appreciated :-)
>Tomek

Hello Tomek,

The port/package, sysutils/automount, is able to do what you want.  It
automatically mounts MSDOS or gpart partioned USB thumb drives.  Alas,
it does not automatically mount CD/DVDs which require command line
intervention.

My configuration file (/usr/local/etc/automount.conf) differs from the
sample as follow:

 MNTPREFIX=/media
 USERUMOUNT=YES
 ATIME=NO
 REMOVEDIRS=YES
 USER=<YourLoginName>
 NOTIFY=YES

A devd configuration file that was installed by pkg was not changed.
It is located at /usr/local/etc/devd/automount_devd.conf.

My GUI desktop of choice is XFCE4 which has a plugin that recognises
automatically mounted devices.  It is possible to use this plugin to
umount a USB thumb drive OR use the command line in a virtual terminal
to umount in the traditional way.

Cheers ...

Marek