Static IP Addresses

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sun Oct 8 08:37:46 UTC 2017

I have a remote backup machine that is on a dynamic IP address allocation.  The address doesn't seem to change very often.  However, after a few days from a boot, the static aliases on the LAN vanish.  Since I only have very infrequent access to it I can't say for sure what happened.  The logs seem to indicate that the interface went down and then came back up.  However, some of the static aliases were gone.  This is a bit of a guess as to when it happened.  I have dhclient.conf set with entries like:

alias {
        interface "bge0";
        fixed-address 192.168.0.205;
        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.255;
}

I understood from the man pages that was the way to have dhclient add in the static addresses if it changed anything.  Is there something more that I should have done?

-- Doug